We have been tooling around with whole grain cakes for a few weeks now and hit the jackpot with these S’mores inspired layers. Our weekend receptionist Lisette baptized it as Campfire Cake after a late afternoon torching session. Use store-bought marshmallows or take 30 minutes to master our Homemade Marshmallow recipe here to cut out varying sizes of puffs.Print this recipe
|1 cup||vegetable oil (olive oil or grapeseed are best)|
|1/2 cup||brown sugar|
|3/4 cup||apple juice|
|2 cups||all purpose flour|
|1-1/4 cups||whole wheat flour (a soft, light one, such as Sonora or white whole wheat)|
|1 Tbsp||baking powder|
|1 tsp||baking soda|
- Prepare two 8" cake pans by cutting out a circle of parchment paper the same size as the bottom of the pan and placing it on the bottom. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Whisk all the wet ingredients together in a large bowl. Sift the dry ingredients over the wet and whisk until just combined. Pour into cake pans and bake about 30-40 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Cool in the pans, then unfold and peel back the parchment paper. Once completely cooled (this should take a few hours), cut each cake into two layers and set aside.
Whipped Chocolate Ganache Filling
|10 ounces||milk chocolate, best quality you can find|
|16 ounces||heavy cream|
- Chop up your chocolate finely. Place a rimmed cookie sheet or wide pan with a lip in the freezer.
- Warm the cream in a pot until just barely simmering. Pour over the chocolate and whisk until all the chocolate has melted. Pour this onto the frozen pan and chill to set.
- Once cold, whip the ganache with a stand mixer and the whisk attachment or a hand-held mixer.
- Place your bottom cake layer on a flat platter, stand or dish. Spread 1/4 of the ganache on top, then place another cake layer over it. Repeat until all the layers are stacked. For best results, place this in the fridge or freezer until firm.
- Take the remaining ganache and spread on chilled cake. You can also warm it and pour over the cake.
- Top with marshmallows, torch and serve!