Chocolate Babka Coffee Cake
Babka is my drug of choice. The rich, yeasted brioche bread is made insanely better with ribbons of chocolate, but the brioche dough needs time to rest, and some Saturday mornings call for a chocolate breakfast that’ll be hot and ready out of the oven in about 1 hour. To take care of this habit and make it work for a speedy fix, we took our favorite coffee cake base and turned it into a morning cake fit for the Gods.Print this recipe
Coffee Cake Base
|3 ounces||84g||Melted butter|
|1/4 cup||56g||Vegetable oil|
|1 cup||240g||Sour cream|
|2/3 cup||80g||All purpose flour|
|1 cup||120g||Whole wheat flour|
|1 Tbsp||Baking powder|
|1/2 tsp||Baking soda|
|1 tsp||Kosher salt|
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line am 8"x8" square baking pan with two strips of parchment paper, each the width of the pan. Criss cross them in the pan and start making your batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your melted butter, oil, sugar, eggs, extract and sour cream. Sift all of your dry ingredients over the wet and whisk until just combined. Set the batter aside.
|4 ounces||112g||Melted butter|
|1/3 cup||35g||Cocoa powder|
|2 Tbsps||All purpose flour|
|1/2 cup||62g||Powdered sugar|
|3 ounces||84g||Chocolate of your choice, chopped|
- Stir the melted butter, cocoa powder, flour and powdered sugar. Stir in the chocolate pieces and set aside.
|1/3 cup||72g||Brown sugar|
|1/2 cup||60g||All purpose flour|
|1/3 cup||45g||Whole wheat flour|
|1 Tbsp||Cocoa powder|
|1/2 tsp||Kosher salt|
|3 ounces||84g||Cold butter|
|3 ounces||84g||Hazelnuts, chopped|
- Mix all the dry ingredients together. Rub the cold butter in until even crumbles form.
- Scoop 2/3 of the batter into your cake pan and spread to the edges. Scoop all of your babka filling over the batter and spread a bit.
- Scoop the remainder of the batter over the filling. Sprinkle chocolate crumbles on top. Feel free to add more chocolate over the crumbles. Bake for about 50 minutes.