Chocolate Charlotte Meringue Cake
I love the look of a classic Charlotte, all primp and proper and surrounded by ladyfingers. What I’m missing from the berry sweet mousse cake is chocolate. We borrowed some elements from a few chocolate meringue cakes to make this decadent dessert. It’s gluten free as well and pleases everyone with a sweet tooth and a penchant for chocolate.Print this recipe
|12 ounces||Dark chocolate (in the 60% range)|
|1-1/2 cups||Heavy cream|
- Melt the chocolate and butter together over a double or in a microwave and set aside.
- Whip up the heavy cream and set aside, then clean the bowl.
- Place the whites in the clean stand mixer bowl and beat to soft peak stage.
- While the eggs are beating, heat the water and sugar in a pot over medium heat to 240F.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and pour the sugar syrup slowly between the bowl and the beater. Once the syrup has been added, turn the speed up and beat until stiff.
- Fold in the chocolate. Once the mixture is room temperature, fold in the whipped cream. Chill to set.
|2-1/4 cups||Powdered sugar|
|1 cup||Cocoa powder|
|1 cup + 1 Tbsp||Sugar|
- Preheat the oven to 350 and prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper and a piping bag with a round tip. Trace either four 6” circles or two 6x9” rectangles on one of the sheets of parchment, then flip it over (to avoid getting ink on your cake).
- Mix the cocoa powder and powdered sugar together and set aside.
Beat the egg whites to soft peak stage, then slowly add the sugar until you get stiff, glossy
peaks. Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder over the meringue and fold.
Pipe 2/3 of the batter into the traced shapes. Pipe the remaining batter into long lines on the
second sheet. Let the meringues dry for 15-20 minutes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Once cooled, cut the long cylinders into shards.
Place the first circle on a platter and cover it with a quarter of the mousse. Place the second layer
on top, then add the rest of the mousse. Repeat twice. Cover with shards and chill overnight (or cheat and freeze for a couple of hours). If desired, add whipped cream and shards of chocolate on top before serving.