Pistachio Cake with Roasted Rhubarb and Apricots
There’s enough mouth-puckering tartness in the roasted fruit that top this cake to pair beautifully with the sweet, earthy pistachio-rich loaf cake. We serve this dessert (or breakfast…or snack…) with a dollop of whipped cream with a touch of vanilla extract, but ice cream will do in a pinch.Print this recipe
Roasted Stone Fruit Topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Cut and pit the apricots. Slice each into eights. Trim off the green parts of your rhubarb stalks and cut the stalks lengthwise, then cutting the long halves into 3" strips.
- Place the fruit on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Roast for about 20 minutes.
|1 cup||All purpose flour|
|3/4 cup||Whole wheat flour|
|1/2 tsp||Baking soda|
|3/4 cup||Olive oil|
|2 ounces||Melted butter|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
- Place your sugar and pistachios in a food processor and blend until the pistachios are finely ground.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda and salt. In a larger bowl, whisk together the pistachio sugar, olive oil, butter, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet and whisk until just combined. Line a 9" loaf pan with parchment paper and pour batter in. Bake for 40 minutes, or until just bouncing back in the middle.
- To serve: slice the cake and top with roasted fruit.