Classic Pumpkin Pie
It’s pretty straightforward, pumpkin pie should be silky, smooth and all together custardy. We’ve updated this classic with a trick to bring out the butterscotch notes in the brown sugar. You’ll start this and all of our other pie recipes with our master pie dough over here, and a step by step tutorial on crimping right here.Print this recipe
Pumpkin Pie Filling
|1 15-ounce can||Pumpkin puree|
|2/3 cup||Brown sugar|
|1/3 cup||Granulated sugar|
|1 cup||Heavy cream|
|1 tsp||Ground ginger (or 1/2 tsp freshly grated)|
- PIE DOUGH (see our recipe) - On a well-floured surface, begin to roll out your dough, use only 2/3 of your dough. Save the extras for hand pies or to keep a little one busy while you’re cooking. The best way to roll out pie crust is to place your rolling pin (flour it first) on the center of your dough. Move forward, stopping just shy of the edge of the dough, then move backwards. Turn your dough a quarter turn and repeat until the dough is 2” larger than your tin around each side. Pick up the dough using your rolling pin. Using scissors, trim the dough so that it hangs about a quarter inch off the sides.
- To finish the edges of the crust, turn them under and pinch, repeating until the whole pie is crimped. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375F degrees. Poke some holes in the bottom of the pie crust to allow air out so crust won't bubble. Blind bake your crust by lining the bottom of the crust with parchment paper or foil. Fill with pie weights (we use dried beans and rice) all the way to the top. Bake until the edges are golden brown, about 15-20 minutes, then remove and cool for 5 minutes.
- PIE FILLING - To make the pie filling, place the pumpkin puree and sugars in a medium bowl. Take a sauce pan and fill about an inch of water and bring to medium heat. Place the bowl on the sauce pan (water shouldn't touch the bowl) to gently heat the puree and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Your mixture will look a couple of shades darker. Take off the heat to cool for a minute.
- Stir the heavy cream into the pumpkin mixture, followed by the eggs until they are fully combined. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Turn the oven down to 350F. Remove the weights and paper and pour in the pie filling. Bake the pie for about 40-50 minutes, or until the filling sets about 2 inches from the side.