This warm, comforting potato side dish is the perfect, quick-cooking side to accompany a cold night. Stock your pantry with nigella and cumin seeds as well as ground turmeric to spice things up as the weather cools down.
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- ½ tsp kalongi (nigella seeds)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp red chili powder (cayenne or paprika)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¾ tsp Kosher salt
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are just about to be tender when you poke with a knife. Drain, cube and set aside.
- Slice your onion into half moons. Heat a large saute pan with the grape-seed oil and toss in the cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Add the onions and saute until they are translucent.
- Add the kalongi, turmeric and potatoes and saute for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the salt, cover and cook over medium for 5-7 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Toss in the red chili powder and garam masala.
- Serve hot (it’s lovely with poori, a puffy fried bread)!