Baked Mac N Cheese
Servings: 4 people
Thank Chef Carol for this delicious and cozy baked Mac n Cheese to warm your tummies this winter!Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 lb Elbow macaroni
- 4 oz Butter
- 1/3 cup All purpose flour
- 5 cups Whole milk
- 1/8 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 lb Sharp cheddar, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Lightly butter a 9 x 13 baking dish
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water about 3 minutes shy of done. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add butter and allow to melt and become foamy. Whisk in the flour to form a roux, or paste. Cook the roux, stirring constantly, for about a minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, careful not to create lumps. Whisk until the mixture boils and thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Season generously with salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. You’ve just made a béchamel!
- Reserve 1 cup of the grated cheese and set aside. Whisk in remaining cheese into the béchamel. Taste again for salt. It should be very flavorful. Add cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and mix well. Pour into prepared baking dish and top with reserved cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.