Banana-Oat Pancakes (GF)
Oat flour is delicious. It also happens to be gluten free (and for future reference, there is NO GLUTEN in oats, but those you a purchasing labeled as such are produced on machinery that is certified to not have touched any products containing gluten). This recipe will feed 4 hungry morning bears. Stuck with underripe bananas? Check out our banana hack here.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Banana super ripe or roasted
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil I like Olive
- 1 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 cup Oat flour
- Pinch Ground cardamom optional
- 2 Egg whites
- 3 Tbsp Butter clarified butter is best
- In a large bowl, whisk together your mashed banana, oil, buttermilk, eggs and sugar. Add a touch of orange zest, vanilla extract- whatever you like here.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once over the wet and whisk until just combined. Let this sit so the oat flour can absorb the wet ingredients.
- Whip up the two eggs whites until they reach soft peak stage. Fold this into the batter just before cooking.
- Heat up a griddle or cast iron skillet. Melt 1 Tbsp butter (clarified butter will keep your pan from smoking) over medium high heat. Turn the heat down a touch and drop the batter into any sized pancake you choose. Cook until pancakes are golden on one side, then flip over, just once, to brown the other side. Repeat until the batter is through.