Blackberry Fritters with Lemon Glaze
This recipe takes our favorite farmers’ market blackberries, sweet and plump just a little tart, and pairs them with our favorite fritters batter. You can add anything you like to the glaze (a little booze, perhaps) to kick things up a notch.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cup Fresh or frozen blackberries *
- 3 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Baking powder
- Pinch Cardamom
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Apple juice
- 3 Egg
- 4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Lemon juice
- * If your blackberries are frozen, be sure to keep them frozen until just before you fold them into the batter. Fill a pot with about 3″ of frying oil (we use rice bran oil, but canola, peanut or vegetable oil will also do).
- In a small bowl, mix together your flour, sugar, baking powder, cardamom and salt.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together your eggs and juice. Pour the dry over the wet ingredients and top that with the berries. Fold until the dough just comes together.
- Using two large spoons, scoop a few tablespoons of batter into the oil. Press each lump of batter against the side of the pot using the back of a spoon (you want flat fritters)! Fry without flipping until the bottom side is a dark, amber honey color. Once you reach this stage, flip each fritter and fry until you match that color on the other side. Continue frying until the batter is all done.
- Remove the fritters as they are done frying and place them on cooling racks. Wait at least 1 minute before rolling the fritters into the lemon glaze.
- Mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar, adding a touch of lemon juice to thin it out (but it should be thick)!
- Place a strainer over a large bowl. Pour the glaze through the strainer and let gravity do its job. Roll the warm fritters into the glaze and set them back on the cooling grates to set.