It may surprise you to hear this from us, but we prefer using frozen berries over fresh ones 10 months out of the year. If blueberries are in season and perfectly sweet, then by all means, get ’em off the bush. Out of season or flown in from far away farms, blueberries can taste bland and fall apart when cooked. Frozen berries are picked and frozen at their peak and make a much better filling. We love to freeze this filling, ready to fill a pie when duty (aka bake sale, pot luck or a pint of ice cream) calls. Follow our master pie dough recipe here for the flakiest crust!Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- Large Pot
- Cookie Sheet
- Pie Tin
- Rolling Pin
- 6 cups Blueberries (Fresh or Frozen)
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbsps Flour
- ⅓ cup Water
- Place your blueberries, sugar, salt and lemon juice in a large pot and bring to a boil. While the mixture is heating up, stir the water and flour together to form a slurry.
- Once the blueberries are boiling, turn the heat down and add in all the slurry, stirring with a wooden spoon until thick. Pour this onto a large cookie sheet or platter and wait until it cools before using it over your pie dough.
- On a well-floured surface, begin to roll out your doughs until each is about 3″ larger than your pie tin. The best way to roll out pie crust is to place your rolling pin (flour it first) on the center of your dough. Move forward, stopping just shy of the edge of the dough, then move backwards. Turn your dough a quarter turn and repeat until the dough is about 3” larger than your tin around each side. Pick up the dough using your rolling pin and place it in the tin.
- Scoop your filling into the crust. Top with the second pie crust and using scissors, trim the top and bottom doughs together so that they hangs just a hair off the sides. Tuck the dough under and crimp (I like to push my index finger between my thumb and middle finger). Freeze the pie for at least one hour, or up to several weeks.
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Sprinkle the frozen pie with coarse or regular granulated sugar (organic unbleached sugar works best) and place into the oven. Turn the heat down immediately to 375°F and bake until golden all over.
- Let the pie sit for about one hour before cutting into it and serving.