Chef Rubina Kahn makes this simple, vegetarian stew in her Classic Indian Cuisine classes and we love walking into the kitchen when she’s cooking it up. This one-pot main dish will send the warm spices wafting.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic grated
- 2 inches ginger root grated
- ½ cup olive or grapeseed oil
- 4 cloves
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tsps Kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsps garam masala
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped and set aside for garnish
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender and set them aside.
- Grab a heavy-bottom sautee pan or Dutch oven and heat the oil over medium.
- Add the ginger and garlic and toss until the garlic just begins to brown.
- Add the cloves and stir, followed by the onions, cooking those and tossing occasionally until they look translucent.
- Add in the tomato, salt and spices (leaving off the garam masala) and cook until everything in the reduces to a puree.
- Add in the cooked beans and water, cover and simmer until the gravy blends in with the beans, adding more water, if needed.
- Stir in the garam masala and garnish with cilantro.