Chef John’s Sausage Stuffing
Ready to take your stuffing to the next level? Try this savory and satisfying sausage stuffing throughout the holidays. Pro Tip: don’t skimp on the bread – get a good, sturdy whole grain sourdough loaf.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1-1/2 lb. Good sourdough bread cut into 1″ cubes
- 1/2 cup Pine nuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 ounces Unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions diced
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples diced
- 1/2 bunch Flat-leafed parsley minced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 3/4 lb Sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 1 cup Dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the bread cubes in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for 7 minutes or until quite dry and beginning to brown. Remove to a large bowl.
- Add pinenuts to same sheet pan and place in oven. Toast for about 5 minutes until just beginning to brown. When cool add to bread cubes.
- In a large sauté pan, add olive oil and melt the butter. Add the onions, celery, apples, parsley, sage, thyme sprigs, salt and pepper. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Add to the bread cubes.
- Remove sausage from casings. In the same sauté pan cook the sausage over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Add to the bread cubes and vegetables.
- Remove thyme sprigs. Add the chicken stock and cranberries to the mixture, mix well, and pour into a 9 by 12-inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until browned on top and hot in the middle. Serve warm.