Chef Shiho’s Savory Bread Pudding
If you have 15 minutes of prep time and 1 hour to get stuff done while this bakes in the oven, you’ve got a full meal-in-a-pan. Be sure to use whole milk (use Straus Family Creamery for this dish for best results).Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lb mushrooms sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme stemmed
- 1 leek green part discarded and sliced into thin half-moons
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 loaf bread such as challah, stale or toasted, cut into 1” cubes
- 3 oz Gruyere cheese grated
- 2 ounces Parmigiano grated
- Large pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pt cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbsps bread flour
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk whole milk, please!
- 2 cups cream
- Butter an 8” or 9” square baking dish and preheat an oven to 350°F.
- Toast the cubes of bread in the oven until golden in color.
- While the bread is toasting, heat up saute pan with a drizzle of oil. Saute the leeks, followed by the garlic and mushrooms and garlic.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, salt, pepper, bread flour and thyme.
- Toss in the bread, vegetables and half the cheese.
- Pour into prepared dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for an hour or until set in the center.