Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons and Olives
This succulent dish is part of May’s delicious Night in Marrakesh class. With or without a tagine, this deceptively simple chicken dish gets you from chopping to eating in less than 45 minutes. The recipe calls for preserved lemon peel, which you can find at specialty markets or make yourselfPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 chicken legs Bone in, skin on
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 pinch Saffron threads
- 2 cups Chicken stock
- 1 Preserved lemon peel finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp Chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup Cured black olives
- 3 cups Cooked couscous
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium Dutch oven and brown chicken on both sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric and saffron to pan, sautéing until the onions are soft. Return chicken to pan along and pour the stock over the chicken. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add preserved lemon peel and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered. Taste for seasoning and garnish with herbs and olives. Serve with couscous.