Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Chocolate + Rye Pullman Loaf Bread
- 2-½ tsp Active dry yeast 7g
- 2-⅓ cups Whole milk 500g, slightly warmed or room temperature
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Honey 50g
- 2-⅔ cups All purpose flour 580g
- ½ cup Whole grain rye flour 100g
- 1/2 cup Cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 oz Butter 56g, softened up a bit
- 2 Eggs
- 6 oz Milk chocolate finely chopped
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl if you’re going to do this all by hand), wake the yeast up by mixing it with the milk, sugar, honey, all the rye flour and half of the all purpose flour until just barely combined. Let this hang together for one hour.
- Once the mixture is super tall and happy, go ahead and add all the other ingredients. If you are using a stand mixer, knead for 5 minutes with the dough hook. If you are doing this by hand, mix at first with a wooden spoon and then knead by stretching and folding the dough onto itself for 5 minutes on the counter (I use a bench scraper in my right hand to scrape the dough and fold it to keep it from feeling too sticky).
- Let this rise for an hour and a half, covered.
- While the dough is rising, rub butter all over a 13″x4″ Pullman loaf pan (top included).
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Once the dough has risen, take it out of the bowl (it will be sticky! And that’s ok!)! Do your best to get the dough into a rectangle and roll it up into a cylinder at least 10″ long. Plop it into your pullman pan and let it rise another hour, barely covered with oiled plastic or parchment.
- Slide the lid on the pan and bake for 35 minutes. Slide the top off and bake another 5 minutes.