Classic Buttermilk Pancakes
Need we say more? This, with the addition of two egg whites beaten to soft peaks and folded in, makes a great waffle batter. Check out our Perfect Pancake Tip Page for tips, suggestions and cautionary tales.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 2/3 cup All purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 2 oz Melted butter
- 3 to 4 oz Clarified butter for cooking
- In a small bowl, whisk together your flour, sugar, leaveners and salt.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Pour the dry ingredients over the wet, whisking until they just barely combined. Pour the melted butter over the batter and mix until it just comes together. Let the batter rest for at least 10 minutes to allow the whole wheat flour to absorb some of the liquids.
- Prepare your pan by melting 1 or 2 tbsp of clarified butter over medium high heat. Once melted, drop your pancakes on in whichever size you prefer! Flip them only once you see bubbles forming over the top.