Classic Gingerbread People Cookies
Servings: 12 4″ ginger peoplePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 oz unsalted butter 112g
- 1/2 cup brown sugar 110g
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup molasses or sorghum syrup 140g
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 240g
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 70g
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups powdered sugar 240g
- 1 egg white 30g
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or hand-held mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy and lighter in color. Add the molasses and yolks and beat until smooth.
- While things are creaming away, mix all your dry ingredients together. Add your dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix until just combined, adding a touch of water if needed to come together.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper to desired thickness (thinner for crisper cookies, thicker for softer ones) and place on a cookie sheet and into the freezer until firm and cold.
- Heat oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove the top parchment paper from your dough and punch out your cookies. Place them ½” apart on your cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just setting on the outside edges. Cool completely before removing them from the pans.
- Beat all ingredients until smooth. Divide into bowls to color and add a touch of water, if needed, to thin out.