Corn and Tomato Panzanella
Breathe easy, Californians. Here’s a recipe for avocado toast in SALAD FORM. This big salad serves 4 hungry surfers and 6 when served as a side.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 cup Pepitas pumpkin seeds, green if possible
- 3 cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 Large loaf of rustic bread
- 2 Clove garlic finely minced
- 4 Ears of corn
- 1/3 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1 lb Tomatoes any size, color or shape
- 2 Avocados
- 2 Limes zested and juiced
- 1 bunch Cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 Sweet onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Start your recipe by boiling the water and salt together. Once it starts to boil, drop in the pepitas and cook them for 10 minutes. Drain, sprinkle in an even layer over a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until they just start smelling great. Remove them from the oven and turn the heat up to 375F.
- Place a cookie sheet or a cast iron pan in the oven while you cut the loaf into 1″ slices, then into 1” cubes.
- Remove the kernels from the ears of corn. Toss the corn and cubed bread with the olive oil, cumin and lime zest and garlic. Remove the cookie sheet or pan from the oven and throw in the corn and bread, cooking them for about 8-10 minutes, or until the bread is nice and golden.
- Cut the tomatoes into various sizes. Slice the avocados in half and dice into 2” cubes.
- Toss the tomatoes with the corn and bread, followed by the cilantro, toasted pepitas, and remaining ingredients. Adjust with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve just warm.