Creamy Polenta Chowder
We were looking for a way to get the sweet corn flavor of chowder into polenta during the winter (not exactly corn’s peak season) and happened by a near-empty quart of milk. By subbing some of the water with milk and letting it brown ever so slightly, the polenta took on subtle sweetness and intensely creamy texture with a lot less butter.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Sweet Polenta Chowder
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cup Stock vegetable or chicken
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 cup Polenta or cornmeal if not on hand
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Salted butter
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Place the water, stock and milk in a large saucepot that’s got a lid (if you can’t find it, a cookie sheet will do). Stir in the salt and whisk in the polenta to prevent clumping. Cover.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove and stir a bit. Return to the oven to bake another 10-20 minutes or so, depending on how soft or firm you want the polenta.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the butter. Add pepper and salt, to taste. Serve immediately for a soft consistency or leave out for an hour for a firmer result.