Farro, Bacon and Spinach Salad
This is by far my favorite salad of the year. Make a large batch for your next dinner party or parcel if out for a couple of lunches this week.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 cup Farro try to avoid the pearled varieties, but any if them will do
- 3 cups Water
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Olive oil
- 6 ounces Pork belly or thick-cut bacon
- 2 Pomegranates
- 2 Lemons
- 4 cups Fresh spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the water and salt in a pot and bring to a simmer. Add the farro and cover, cooking for about 30 minutes, or until he farro is tender. Drain out any water remaining in the pot and drizzle in 3 Tbsps olive oil.
- Cut the pork belly in 1″ dice. Cook these in an even layer in a skillet over low heat. You’ll notice fat melting, or rendering, out into the bottom of the skillet, followed by the first side of the bacon browning. Turn the bits over as they brown and remove from heat as soon as they are even on all sides.
- Place the farro, lemon juice and bacon fat and pieces in a large bowl. Stir and taste, adjusting so that the flavor is almost over-seasoned (once you add the spinach, it will absorb a whole lot of it)!
- Toss in the spinach and pomegranate seeds just before serving.