Farro Bowl with Chermoula, Fennel & Mint
The easiest way to have breakfast, lunch or dinner ready in 5 minutes is to arm your kitchen with cooked grains, a few condiments and some kind of legume or protein. Chef John Pitblado developed this and two other grain bowl recipes for the L.A. Times Food Bowl Festival– thank you, John!Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cup Cooked Farro
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup Toasted walnuts
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Lemon for juicing
- 2 tsp Salt less if salt is fine
- As desired Chermoula see below
- As desired Quick Pickled Fennel see below
- 1 cup Ricotta
- 1 bunch Chopped fresh mint
- Toss cooked and cooled farro with raisins and walnuts. Toss in oil, lemon juice and salt and season to taste.
- Place in serving bowls and top with Chermoula, Ricotta, Pickled Fennel and Mint.
- Serves 4 as a side and two as a main dish.
To cook the grains, take a look at our Grain Cooking Chart here to know how much water and time you need for each kind of grain. We love purchasing grains from our local Southern California farmers at the Santa Monica, Hollywood, Mar Vista and Torrance farmers’ markets, but you can find wheat berries at any specialty or gourmet grocery store. The Santa Monica Farmers’ Market (Wednesday mornings) offers up the most variety of grain farmers, from Larry Kandarian to Roan Mills, Fat Uncle Farms to Koda Farms and Weiser Family Farms.