Print Recipe Pin Recipe
FRESH PASTA DOUGH
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 5 Egg yolks *OR 2 whole eggs
- 3 Tbsps Semolina flour for dusting
- On a clean, flat work surface or in a medium sized bowl, make a mound of flour. with a well in the center. Add the egg yolks or whole egg and begin to mix with two fingers or a fork, adding the flour from the sides of the well a little bit at a time until a stiff dough forms. You may not need all of your flour! Clean off your work surface and knead the dough for 5 minutes. You'll know your dough is strong enough when it retracts when you poke it. Let rest on the counter, covered, for at least 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour your counter with the semolina flour. It's time to roll out your dough! We begin this process by rolling out the dough several times on the widest setting on a pasta machine, folding it in half with the two ends coming together between the cylinders facing down. Once the dough is smooth and wide, you can begin to thin the dough out, without folding, one setting at a time until you reach your desired thickness. As you are working, add a touch of semolina to the dough should it feel tacky in any way. The second or third to last setting on your machine is where you want to land for most noodles. Let the strip (or strips, if you doubled or tripled this recipe and divided the dough before rolling it out) dry for about 20 minutes on a floured surface, or until the dough feels dry enough to cut into strips without them sticking to one another.
- Use an attachment or knife to cut into strips of desired width. Dry your pasta out on a floured surface while you prepare the pasta water and sauce.
- Prepare whatever sauce you are using in a small pan or skillet. Warm it up and turn the heat to low; once your pasta begins to cook, you'll want to thin it out a bit with the pasta water.
- Bring a tall pot filled 3/4 of the way with water to a boil with a healthy dose of salt (about a half a handful for a tall pot); it should taste as briny as ocean water. Place your pasta in the pot only once there is a strong rolling boil and cook for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on their thickness. Once the pasta is cooked, pick it up with tongs and toss into the sauce for a few moments just before plating.