Gateau au Chocolat
This classic French cake has an intensely fudgy inside and delicate, souffle-like exterior. Paired with a chocolate chantilly, this dessert is a show stopper!Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 9 oz bittersweet chocolate (we used Tcho’s 66%) 250g
- 9 oz unsalted butter, at room temperature 250g
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200g
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup AP flour 70 g
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 cups heavy cream 500g
- 5 oz bittersweet chocolate (we used Tcho’s 66%) 150g
- 2 tbsp honey
- Heat oven to 350F. Line an 8” round by 3” tall cake pan or springform pan with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate and butter together in the microwave or over a double boiler and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand-held mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the sugar and eggs for 3-5 minutes, or until thick and noticeably lighter in color. Stir in the chocolate. Turn the mixer off and add in the flour and salt, mixing on low speed until just combined.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely before unmolding.
- Melt the chocolate and 1/3 of your cream with the honey in the microwave or over a double boiler. Stir in the remaining cream and chill for at least one hour.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand-held mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip until soft peaks just begin to form.
- Unmold your completely cooled cake and pour on the chocolate chantilly. Spread as you wish! Chill cake for one hour before slicing for cleanest cuts.