Gluten Free Carrot Cake
We love our whole grain cakes, especially the ones where wheat-free grains are highlighted! Pastry Chef Cecilia Leung, of Christine Moore’s Little Flour and Lincoln restaurants in Pasadena, taught this stunner in one of her Gluten Free baking classes. Like all their GF baked goods, this cake is filled with all the good grains and no bad gums or starches. We source the super-fine brown rice flour from nearby Authentic Foods..Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ cup + 1 ½ Tbsp brown sugar 115g
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 ¼ cups grapeseed oil
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups brown rice flour
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp oat flour 80g
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 ½ cups grated carrots
- ¼ cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- ½ cup golden raisins rehydrated
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare two 9” x 2” round cake pans by lining them with parchment paper and lightly coating them with pan spray. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat sugars and oil together until well combined on medium speed. Add eggs one at a time. Then using a rubber spatula, scrape the bowl well. Whisk on medium speed for 2 minutes until lighter.
- Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl on low speed until just incorporated.
- Fold in carrots, walnuts, and raisins on low speed for 15 seconds, until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotate pans, and bake for additional 15 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool completely before unmolding. When cool and unmolded, coat with Cream Cheese Frosting.