Gluten Free Oat and Millet Muffins
Servings: 12 small or 6 large muffins
Chef Cecilia’s talents can be found in the pastry cases at Lincoln and Little Flower restaurants in Pasadena, where she and owner Christine Moore have long made their gluten free customers smile with their many gf offerings. Their recipes have always focused on healthy, delicious whole grains and seeds, blended together to create perfect textures without the use of gums. You can find some of their recipes in Little Flower Baking, one of our very favorite baking books!Note: We’ve found that the super fine brown rice flour from Authentic Foods makes a big difference. Check them out!Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- ½ cup +2 Tbsp brown rice flour 90g
- ½ cup +2 Tbsp teff flour 90g
- ½ cup +2 Tbsp oat flour 90g
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp potato starch 50g
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2½ Tbsp whole millet 30g
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp coconut oil melted (114g)
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp brown rice syrup 105g
- 1 pint berries
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place brown rice flour, teff flour, oat flour, potato starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and whole millet in a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Place chia seeds in a small mixing bowl with boiling water, stir and mix well. Set aside and allow chia seeds to absorb all the water for 5 minutes (they will plump up and become gelatinous).
- In another small bowl, whisk oat milk and apple cider vinegar together. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the ingredients to curdle and create a non-dairy buttermilk.
- Add the chia seed mixture, soy milk, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, and brown rice syrup to the flour mixture. Whisk until the flours absorb the wet ingredients. Coat muffin tin with pan spray. Fill prepared tin 2/3 full. Garnish the top with berries.
- Bake for 20 minutes, batter will have risen slightly. Rotate baking dish for even heating, and continue baking for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes and unmold so that the exterior will stay crunchy.