Gluten Free Olive Oil Cake
This gluten-free olive oil cake, brought to you by Pastry Chef Cecilia Leung, of Christine Moore’s Little Flour and Lincoln restaurants in Pasadena, is made even better with the olive oil we’re so lucky to use in our kitchens from the Nuvo olive oil family. The moistness of this cake and the rich flavor of the Brown Butter Buttercream Frosting means it can sit on your counter for a week – but good luck with keeping it that long!Make this for your next dinner party – it’s gluten free and, if you sub out the whole milk for oat milk, dairy-free as well. We source the super-fine brown rice flour from nearby Authentic Foods.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup orange juice
- Brown Butter Buttercream Frosting
- Fresh Fruit and herbs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line bottom of 9” x 3” cake pan and lightly coat with pan spray. Set aside.
- Sift your dry ingredients and set aside.
- Place eggs in the mixing bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment and whip on medium speed. Stream in your olive oil and continue mixing for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens. Stream in the milk and orange juice and mix until just combined.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and zest all at once and mix on low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds. Use rubber spatula to scrape the bowl and ensure all dry ingredients are incorporated. This batter will look similar to pancake batter.
- Pour batter in prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Rotate pan and bake for additional 30 minutes or until top is golden brown, domed, and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for at least 2 hours before coating this cake in Brown Butter Buttercream Frosting and decorating.