It’s National Hazelnut Cake day, and we’re celebrating with a riff on Chef LaSheeda’s classic vanilla cake. How will you celebrate?Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 215g
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 oz whole, toasted hazelnuts 56g
- 2.6 oz unsalted butter (a little more than 1/2 a stick) 75g
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200g
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil 50g
- 3/4 cup whole milk 200g
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 oz dark chocolate, we used TCHO 70% 280g
- 1-3/4 cups heavy cream 400g
- 1/3 cup honey 120g
- 4 oz toasted hazelnuts 112g
- 1 oz unsalted or salted butter 28g
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line the bottom of an 8” round cake pan with a circle of parchment paper to cover the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Place the flour, baking powder, salt and hazelnuts in a food processor. Pulse until the hazelnuts appear very finely ground into the dry ingredients.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand-held mixer in a deep and narrow bowl, cream the butter, granulated sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy (this will take 3-4 minutes). Stop the mixer, lift the arm and scrape well.
- Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter mixture. Scrape the bowl and slowly stream in the oil.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until just combined. Add half of the milk and mix until just combined. Repeat with half of the remaining flour, the rest of the milk and finish with the rest of the flour. Mix for 15-20 seconds or until just combined.
- Pour into cake pans. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the center just springs back. Cool to room temperature, unmold and make sure it has fully cooled before frosting.
- We’re making this ganache in a blender! Place the chocolate in a strong blender.
- Warm the cream, honey and hazelnuts over medium heat until it just begins to simmer. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to rest for 30 seconds. Pour over the chocolate and blend well until smooth. Add the butter and blend until smooth again (adding a pinch of salt if you used unsalted butter).
- Pour into a wide, shallow bowl or pasta dish, cover with plastic and chill to set.
- Spoon generously over cooled cake and swirl to your heart’s content. Garnish, if desired, with toasted or caramelized hazelnuts