Herb-Roasted Whole Chicken with Root Vegetables
Who doesn’t love a big, herbaceous whole-roasted chicken? The prep for this recipe takes just 5 minutes and finishes itself in the oven while you settle in for the night. If your chicken sits higher than the top of your pot, arrange the vegetables off to the sides and nestle the bird down to close the lid without it touching the top of the chicken.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Whole chicken1 3 – 5 lb
- 1 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 5 to 6 5-6
- 2 tbsp Butter melted
- 2 tbsp oil we prefer olive or grapeseed
- 2 lb Assorted root vegetables
- 1 tsp Finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp Finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp Finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425F. In a small bowl, mix together the oil, melted butter, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Zest the lemon into this mixture and taste, adjusting with more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Check to see that there is nothing in the cavity of the chicken. Cut the lemon in half and stuff it and the sage and fresh thyme inside the cavity. Tie the legs together with butcher’s twine.
- Rub the butter and oil mixture all over the bird. Place the chicken in a Dutch oven, breast-side up. Bake, covered, for about 25 minutes. While this is cooking, cut your root vegetables in 1-1/2’ cubes.
- Remove the cover and turn the heat down to 375F. Remove the Dutch oven (carefully) and sprinkle the cubed vegetables underneath the chicken.
- Continue baking the chicken for 30-35 more minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before removing it from the pot.
- Take the chicken and let it rest on a cutting board. Toss the chopped herbs into the root vegetables. Cut the chicken up and serve with vegetables.