Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Hot Cross Buns
HOT CROSS BUNS
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream 160g
- 2 oz Melted butter 56g
- 1 1/4 cups Whole milk 300g
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar 50g
- 2 tsp Instant yeast 7g (1 envelope)
- 5 cups Bread flour 600g
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour 130g
- 1 1/3 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Assorted spices of your choice (such as cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.)
- 1/2 cup Soaked and strained dried fruit
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Water
- 1/2 cup Powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 tsp Whole milk
- Whisk together your water and egg, set aside.
HOT CROSS BUNS
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl if doing this by hand) add your cream, melted butter, milk, yolks, sugar and yeast. Whisk together.
- Add in the flours & salt and knead in the mixer for about 8 minutes or by hand for about 10 minutes, kneading in the drained fruit about halfway through.. Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 16 pieces. Take each piece and purse the ends so that one seam meets in one place under each roll. Rub the buns out and place them on a parchment -paper lined cookie sheet. Cover and proof for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Egg wash and bake for 20-25 minutes. Once cooled, pipe two lines of glaze on top to form a cross on each bun
- Place the powdered sugar in a small bowl and whisk in (a fork is fine) a teaspoon of milk, adding a touch more to make a paste-like glaze. Add a touch of almond or vanilla extract, if desired.