Katie Miller’s Chocolate, Chocolate (& More Chocolate) Cookies
Servings: 20 large cookiesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 12 oz unsalted butter 336g
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar 280g
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar 325g
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 oz dark chocolate pieces 168g
- 6 oz milk chocolate pieces 168g
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour 290g
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour *Most whole wheat flours in the supermarkets are milled from Hard Red wheats and yield a sandy, hearty cookie. For a more tender cookie that both tastes milder and spreads a touch more, use a soft whole wheat like Sonora or Spelt. Make sure that like the gorgeous flours from Grist & Toll, your whole wheat flours are not sifted and truly whole!
- 3/4 cup natural cocoa powder 85g
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Heat oven to 350F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a deep bowl if you’re using a hand-held beater. Cream the three ingredients until a thick, homogeneous paste forms and then beat until the mixture is fluffy and noticeably lighter in color.
- Add in the eggs and salt and beat until smooth. Add in the chocolate and beat until they are evenly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flours, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Add in with the mixer off and mix until just combined.
- Scoop cookies onto a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet; they spread somewhat generously, depending on the flour, so leave about 2” of space between cookies. Bake for 14 minutes in a traditional still oven and about 11 in a convection oven. Leave the cookies to cool completely before removing them from the cookie sheet.