Orecchiette with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Sauce
Servings: 4 Servings
Chef Eve whipped up this dish for a staff meal, all while developing both our Pasta 2.0 class and some new sausage recipes for our brunch classes! Take the long road and make your own orecchiette and sausage or purchase those already made for a dinner-in-15 minutes version.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb. fennel sausage
- 4 stems broccoli rabe blanched in boiling water one minute, shocked in ice water, and roughly chopped
- ½ lemon juiced
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup pasta water
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- 1 lb. freshly made see below or dried orecchiette, cooked al dente, removed from pasta water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 cup semolina flour you made need a little more for shaping later
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 lbs. ground pork or diced pork shoulder 70/30
- ½ tsp toasted and ground fennel seeds
- ½ tsp. toasted and ground coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp kosher salt
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Mix semolina and all-purpose flours together.
- Stir in water, then knead until dough is smooth adding more water or flour to achieve the proper consistency.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and rest 30 minutes to 4 hours before shaping.
To Shape Orecchiette
- Roll the dough into ½” thick ropes and cut into ¼” pieces. Use a bench scraper, butter knife or your thumb to roll and press pieces into an ear-like shape, using a touch more semolina to avoid sticking, if needed.
- Make a paste with all ingredients except sausage.
- Grind sausage and mix well with seasoning.