PEAR CAKE WITH MISO CARAMEL
While we call for all-purpose flour in the recipe, you can swap out some or all of it for whole spelt flour or a soft wheat like Sonora for extra flavor. The miso caramel is the start of this sweet show and makes enough to drizzle over the crumble with a little extra to spare for your next sundae.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1-2 Pears
- 1" piece of fresh ginger optional
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 125g
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 100g
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil 43g, we like to use olive!
- 1/2 cup milk 120g
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar 145 g
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 oz melted butter 84g
- 1/4 cup brown sugar 55g
- 1.5 oz unsalted butter 42g
- 1 Tbsp white miso
- 1/4 cup heavy cream 60g
- Preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Line the bottom of an 8" round or square cake pan with parchment and set aside.
- Grate the ginger and rub into the 1 Tbsp of sugar. Sprinkle this sugar over the bottom of the lined cake pan.
- Cut your pears into quarters. Core and cut each quarter down in half, lengthwise. Arrange the pears into a spiral at the bottom of the pan.
- To make the batter; place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in your oil, milk and egg. Whisk from the center outward until just combined. Pour this over the pears. Set pan aside.
- Place the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Pour in the melted butter and mix with a fork until just combined. Use your fingers to rub the mixture into crumbles. Sprinkle crumbles over the cake batter and bake for 25-35 minutes or until the cake just springs back in the center.
- While the cake is baking, make your caramel.
- Place the brown sugar, butter and miso in a small saucepan and cook over medium low heat, stirring consistently, until the mixture looks smooth and just begins to bubble.
- Slowly add the cream and cook down, while stirring, for about another minute.
- Remove from heat and set aside. This caramel will thicken as it cools! Pour thickened caramel over cake and serve.