Pork Belly, Potato and Caramelized Onion Galette
We use our master pie dough recipe to bake this in. Enjoy!Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 tbsp Grapeseed oil or another neutral cooking oil
- 1 Medium yellow onion
- 8 oz Pork belly cooked or uncooked
- 2 cup Baby potatoes cooked and sliced (about 10 ounces)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Start with caramelizing the onion. Cut your onion in half from end to end (rather than along the equator). Take each half and place them flat-side down. Cut even, thin slices. Grab a skillet and heat the oil over medium low. Add the onions and stir, occasionally, until they begin to get a little color. At this stage, turn the heat down and continue monitoring and flipping your onions (we like to use a pair of tongs) until they reach a golden, caramelized state.
- If you bought cooked (smoked) pork belly, go ahead and cut into 1/2″ cubes. If it is uncooked, cut into 1″ cubes and cook on low heat, turning the pieces as they get a little color, until they are a touch golden on each side.
- Roll out your dough (see recipe above) on a lightly floured surface and place on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet. You want to get this crust as thin as possible. Poke the bottom of your crust with a fork.
- Dollop the onions on the bottom of the crust, leaving a couple of inches around the entire border of your circle. Arrange the potatoes over the onions and sprinkle the pork over the taters. Fold the edges of the crust over. Brush with a touch of milk and sprinkle with salt, if desired. Bake until golden on the edges.