Roxana Jullapat’s Rye Focaccia
Print Recipe Pin Recipe
ROXANA JULLAPAT’S RYE FOCACCIA
- 1 cup Warm water 240g, not hot! just a little warmer than your hand
- 2-1/4 tsp Activated dry yeast 7g
- 1/2 cup Whole grain rye flour 70g
- 1 1/4 cups Whole wheat flour 160g
- 3/4 cup Bread flour 100g
- 2 1/2 tsp Salt 12g
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Toppings of your choice sesame seeds, rosemary leaves, caraway seeds, coarsely-ground black pepper, etc.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water. Let is sit to activate for 5 minutes.
- Combine the rye, whole wheat and bread flours in a bowl. Add the salt and mix with your hand to combine. Add the dissolved yeast and stir by hand. The mixture will be quite sticky. Now mix the dough in a folding motion, also known as putting folds; to do so dip your hand in a bowl of water, then reach down into the side of the dough bowl, grab a little bit of it, and pull it up and push it down on top of the dough. Rotate the bowl a little bit and do it again. Be gentle yet firm with the dough. Do this to all of the dough; it’ll probably take about ten folds. Cover the dough, and let sit for ½ hour. After ½ hour, stretch and fold the dough another ten times. Cover and leave it alone for another ½ hour or so. Repeat two more times, at 15 to 30 minutes intervals.
- Line an 8×8” cake pan or small baking tray with parchment paper, drizzle 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil over the paper to coat it. Transfer the dough to the baking tray and coat your hands with additional oil. Use your fingertips to dimple the dough and coax it into a rectangular shape. Try to keep the thickness as even as possible. The dough will start to spring back. Let the dough sit for 10 minutes and then dimple again to fill the tray. Don’t worry if you can’t fill the entire tray, especially the corners. As the dough proofs, it will expand and fill it up.
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Proof the focaccia for 30 minutes.
- Drizzle the finish focaccia with additional olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and desired toppings and bake at 400ºF for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and crusty. Let it cool completely before cutting into squares, triangles or strips.