If you have 15 minutes of prep time and 1 hour to get stuff done while this bakes in the oven, you’ve got a full meal-in-a-pan. Be sure to use whole milk (use Straus Creamery for this dish for best results).
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lb mushrooms, sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme, stemmed
- 1 leek, green part discarded and sliced into thin half-moons
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf bread, such as challah, stale or toasted, cut into 1” cubes
- 3 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 ounces Parmigiano, grated
- Large pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pt cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbsps bread flour
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk (whole milk, please!)
- 2 cups cream
- Butter an 8” or 9” square baking dish and preheat an oven to 350°F.
- Toast the cubes of bread in the oven until golden in color.
- While the bread is toasting, heat up saute pan with a drizzle of oil. Saute the leeks, followed by the garlic and mushrooms and garlic.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, salt, pepper, bread flour and thyme.
- Toss in the bread, vegetables and half the cheese.
- Pour into prepared dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for an hour or until set in the center.
Keywords: Bread Pudding