Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Slow-Roasted, Finger-Lickin’ Pork Shoulder
- 8 lb pork shoulder preferably with the skin on
- 10 clove garlic peeled
- 3 Shallots
- 1/4 cup Fennel seeds
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Grapeseed or any vegetable oil
- 1 cup Maple syrup
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 3 cup beer
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast the fennel seeds for 2-3 minutes with a touch of oil.
- Place the garlic, shallots, toasted fennel seeds, tomato paste, salt and pepper in a food processor. Run until a thick paste forms, adding some of the oil as you process.
- Grab a large roasting pan, crockpot or Dutch oven. Rub 2/3 of paste all over the pork shoulder and place into your vessel. Bake (or cook on high setting) for 30 minutes, then stir in the remaining paste with the beer and vinegar, pouring it in carefully.
- Turn the oven down to 250F and cook for 10 hours (good night), or, if using a crockpot, turn down to low setting for about 12 hours.