Smoky Tomato Soup
Our secret to make this perfect soup in 15 minutes is found in a can of Muir Glen’s Organic whole peeled tomatoes and a touch of Hepp’s Applewood Smoked Salt (which we carry, by the way)! If you happen to have leftover Brioche or Sourdough, make up a set of killer grilled cheese sandwiches to take a dip into your soup bowl.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Large yellow onion diced
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 1 bunch Fresh thyme
- 3/4 tsp Smoked paprika
- 3 lb Very ripe tomatoes crushed, OR 1 28-ounce can tomatoes
- 2 cup Vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp Heavy cream optional
- 5 to 6 turns Fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp Smoked salt we love Hepp’s
- Grab your heaviest stockpot or Dutch oven. Heat up your oil and butter and cook the onions in there over medium heat.
- Once the onions look translucent, add the flour and mix until the onions are coated, stirring with a wooden spoon. Slowly add the broth, a little at a time and stirring as you add it.
- Add the remaining ingredients (spare the cream), put a cover on the pot and let it all simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- With an immersion or stand blender, puree the soup. Stir in the smoked salt and serve with parmesan crisps and a touch of cream, if desired.