Spelt Flour English Muffins
Nothing says brunch like the nooks and crannies of a freshly baked English muffin. Part pancakes, part bread and a sweetened with a touch of honey, these pockets of deliciousness are easy to make ahead, freeze and re-warm in the oven. This dough is rather loose; you can add as much flour as you are comfortable with, but the wetter the dough, the more custardy the nooks are in the finished product. We love the stone-milled Spelt flour from Grist & Toll (which you can buy from us or online) and the beautiful Straus Family Creamery butter to melt into each little nook…Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 cups water at room temperature 720 g
- 1 tbsp Yeast (a little less than two packets) 12 g
- 2 tbsps Honey
- 4 cup All purpose or Bread flour 480g
- 2 1/2 cup Whole grain Spelt flour or 2-3/4 cups more AP or bread flour 325g
- 2 tsps Salt
- 1/3 cup Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Clarified butter or vegetable oil
- Whisk together the water, yeast and honey and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flours and salt and knead, either with your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook or on your counter, for 3-4 minutes (you can walk away). Cover and let the dough rest for 2 hours at room temperature (OR leave overnight in the fridge).
- Chill the dough for 2-4 hours in the fridge (or grab the dough straight from the fridge after it has sat there overnight).
- Dust your counter with 1/2 of the cornmeal. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle a bit more of the cornmeal on top. Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat it down into a 1″ thick dough. Grab a round cookie cutter (about 2-1/2″ to 3″ around) and cut them out, placing them onto the parchment.
- Proof these cut out muffins for about one hour at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Once proofed (they will increase in size by about 30%), warm up a griddle or a cast iron and add the clarified butter or oil over medium heat.
- Cook the muffins about 3 minutes on each side (you’ll see them rise before your eyes)! Place them on a cookie sheet once they have cooked on both sides on the griddle and bake for 8-10 minutes.