This is my favorite soup to make in a hurry. We save our the lovely greens from the market for salads and such and get the large clamshells of spinach from the grocery store for this recipe. Make a nice large batch- this soup freezes well and dresses up nicely with a touch of creme fraiche or handful of crisp, fresh croutons.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Medium onion diced
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 lbs Fresh spinach
- 3 cups Vegetable broth
- 2 sprigs Fresh thyme
- 1 to 2 tsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- Melt the butter over low heat. Add onion and thyme and stir until the onions are translucent. Add the flour all at once and stir until a golden paste forms.
- Slowly start adding the stock, stirring the whole time, slowly in 3 stages, until the soup is uniformly thickened.
- Season to taste and add the spinach. Be sure to nearly over-season to avoid an under seasoned soup once the spinach is added. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Puree, taste and adjust seasoning. Add half the lemon juice, adding more if desired. Mix the remaining lemon juice with olive oil and drizzle over soup. Serve with a touch (or two) of heavy cream, if desired, or with a handful of croutons.