Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Steak Au Poivre
- 2 6 oz filets
- 2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 oz butter
- 2 tbsp minced shallot about one shallot
- ½ cup brandy or cognac
- ½ cup heavy cream
- With a paper towel, dry (but do not rinse) steaks.
- On a cutting board, crack black peppercorns with the bottom of a heavy pan. Press pepper evenly onto both sides of the steaks, then set on a plate. Wash your cutting board.
- Heat heavy bottom 9 – 12” sauté pan for two minutes. Add oil, followed by steaks. Season the steaks with salt. Cook steaks 2 minutes (rare) to 3 minutes (medium rare) per side, depending on the thickness of the steaks. Remove steaks to serving plates.
- In the same sauté pan, add the shallot and 1 oz butter. Lower the heat and sauté the shallot for about one minute. Turn the heat off. Add the brandy. Very cautiously turn the heat back on and keep a foot distance from pan. If your pan should flambé, don’t panic, just allow the alcohol to quickly burn off. Reduce the brandy by two thirds, add the cream and simmer to a sauce consistency.
- Pour over steaks & serve immediately.