TORTILLAS DE HARINA
Servings: 10 TortillasPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 1/2 cup All-purpose flour plus extra to form tortillas
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/3 cup Shortening or Lard
- 1 cup Hot water
- Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix with a fork. Then, using a pastry blender or your hands, incorporate the shortening or lard until it resembles coarse meal.
- Slowly add the hot water a little at the time until the dough holds together. (Do not add all the water at once!)
- Turn dough onto a work surface and knead for a couple of minutes until it is smooth.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces rolling every piece on your work surface with the palm of your hand to form a little ball. Cover with a damp kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let rest for 30 to 45 minutes. After the resting period, place an ungreased griddle over medium heat.
- Using a rolling pin, start forming the tortillas on a lightly floured surface. Don't add too much flour to the surface or your tortillas will be dry.
- To form the tortillas, place the balls of dough onto the working area and press slightly with your hand, set the rolling pin at the center of the disc and press forward without making it to the edge and then press backward towards yourself stopping before the edge. Turn the tortilla 45degrees (like a half turn) and repeat pressing forward and then towards you. Flip the tortilla and repeat the same process until you have a thin disk of about 10 inches. If you are new to rolling tortillas, be patient, it takes a little practice.
- Place the tortilla on your hot griddle. During the first 20 to 30 seconds, the tortilla starts forming air bubbles and light brown spots will show at the bottom side of the tortilla. Turn the tortilla. During the next 20 seconds, more air bubbles will continue to form. Turn again and cook for about 10 seconds. The tortilla will puff up. Remove the tortilla from the griddle and wrap with a kitchen towel to keep warm while you make the remaining tortillas.