Granita is our answer to shaved iced. This recipe requires no heat and little skill- only your tastebuds to adjust the sugar and salt based on the flavor of the watermelon you’ve picked out. Chill your pan before pouring in the granita mixture for faster results.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Small watermelon will yield about 1 lb. of fruit
- 1 to 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Cut the watermelon up into 1” cubes. Puree and strain most of the melon, setting aside a few pieces in the freezer.
- Taste the puree and add enough sugar and salt to make the melon flavor pop (without masking it).
- Pour the puree into an 8×8” glass or ceramic pan. Cover and freeze for at least 2 hours. Using a bench scraper (also called a pastry cutter), chop up the block and make flakes.
- Return to the freezer and repeat this process twice more, leaving it in the freezer for at least one hour between each scraping. Serve in chilled ramekins or glasses.