Brown Butter Grapefruit Tarts
An altogether sweet but not too sweet tart. You’ll love it.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 5 oz Butter 140g
- 1/4 cup Sugar 50g
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Flour 130g
- 8 Egg yolks 160g
- 1 cup Sugar 200g
- 1/3 cup Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice 80g
- Zest of one grapefruit
- 2 Tbsps Freshly squeezed lemon juice 30g
- 4 ounces Unsalted butter 112g
- 3 Egg whites 90g
- Pinch Salt
- 2/3 cup Sugar 120g
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Melt your butter in a pot over low heat until it just begins to brown. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes (you will end up with a little less than 4 ounces butter, or 100g).
- Mix your butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and flour with a fork until just combined.
- Press into one 8″ to 10″ tart pan; the thinner, the better, or 4 to 5 4″ tart pans. Poke the bottom of the tarts with a fork and bake until golden all over. Cool and remove, carefully, from the tart pans.
- Whisk together the yolks, sugar, juices and zest in a medium bowl over a double boiler (just a large bowl over a pot of simmering water).
- Whisk the mixture over heat until until a thick custard forms. Remove from heat and stir in the butter until smooth. Cool to set. Spoon into tart(s).
- Place the sugar, salt and egg whites in the bowl of stand mixer. Holding the bowl over a double boiler, whisk the mixture until it feels warm to the touch.
- Place the bowl on the stand mixer and beat with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form. Add the vanilla. Spoon over curd and torch or, using a petal piping tip, pipe in a decorative pattern over the curd.(meringue will tend to set up in the bowl if it sits too long. Simply beat it for 10 seconds to smooth it out again).