Buche de Noel
Yule Logs are a quick holiday classic, and with a simple roll and meringue make an impressive centerpiece with little decorating skill needed. Bake your cake, soak it in a simple syrup, roll it up with your favorite filling, from jam to lemon curd or chocolate mousse and chill while you make a pillowy meringue.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder optional, but for a chocolate version
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 6 egg whites
- Pinch of either cream of tartar or a drop of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 Egg Whites
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Jellyroll Cake
- All simply syrup
- All meringue
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a half sheet pan (also called a jellyroll pan) with a lightly sprinkling of sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, yolks, vanilla and water. Sift the dry ingredients over the wet and whisk until smooth.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peak stage. Slowly add the remaining sugar until just before stiff peak stage.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter in three stages. Pour into pan and bake for about 15 minutes at 325F.
- Bring the water, vanilla and sugar to a boil and continue over low heat just until the sugar dissolves.
- Fill a saucepan 1/3 of the way up with water and bring to a simmer. Place the egg whites and sugar in a KitchenAid bowl (or deep stainless steel bowl ready to use with a hand held mixer).
- Place this bowl over the simmering water and whisk gently until the sugar dissolves in the egg whites (dip your fingers in and rub them- you’ll know it’s ready when you no longer feel the grit of the sugar).
- Place the bowl on the mixer and with the whisk attachment, beat until all and pillowy. Add the vanilla and mix.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on your work table. Trim the cake while it is inside the pan, then flip onto your table. Peel the parchment paper back.
- Soak the cake with the simple syrup (and hey- add a touch of bourbon or any other fun flavor you want to imbibe the cake with)!
- Spread your filling of choice- buttercream, lemon curd or even whipped cream or chocolate mousse. Roll up your cake and chill while you make the meringue.
- Whip up your meringue and spoon over your cake. Torch!