Grilled Corn Soup
|6||Ears of corn|
|2 Tbsps||Vegetable oil|
|1||Yellow or white onion|
|about 20||Black peppercorns|
|8-10||Sprigs of fresh thyme|
|1 bunch||Cilantro (separate the stems from the leaves)|
- Heat up your grill or a grill pan and rub the ears of corn with the oil. Cook, turning them on their sides here and there as they brown. Scrape the kernels off the cob and set them aside for later.
- Rough chop the onions and carrots and place them in a large stockpot. Add the corn cobs and fill the pot with water. Add the bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme and cilantro stems. Bring everything to a simmer and reduce the heat, simmering for another hour to hour and a half. Place a colander over a very large pot or bowl and strain the stock into it.
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 Tbsp||Thyme leaves|
|40 twists||Freshly cracked black pepper|
- Finely dice the carrots and leeks. In a separate pot, add the butter and olive oil and heat until butter begins to gently foam. Add the leeks and carrot and cook until soft.
- Finely dice your pepper. Add to the vegetables, along with the corn kernels your had set aside, sautéing everything for about 5 minutes.
- Add about 8 cups of the corn stock, along with the thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaf, and coon for another 20 minutes.
Plating and Garnishes
- Serve the corn soup in bowls and garnish with all of the above. Enjoy!