Chef Carol’s Strawberry Pistachio Cardamom Crumble Bars
This recipe highlights some awesome California ingredients. I used Sonora whole grain flour from Grist & Toll, Straus butter, summer strawberry jam and pistachios from my local famers market. You can most definitely create variations of flavor with your own flour, jam, nut and spice choices. These bars serve nicely as plated desserts with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cup flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cardamom
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 8 oz unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup pistachios chopped and roasted
- 2 oz butter melted
- Preheat oven to 325℉.
- Combine the flour, salt and cardamom in a bowl and whisk to combine. In a kitchen aid mixer (or in a bowl using a wooden spoon). Cream the granulated sugar and butter to an even smooth texture. Add in the yolks and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until all the dry bitsdisappear. Form the dough into a slab and wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. *The dough can be refrigerated for up to four days.
- Line a quarter sheet pan with parchment paper. Using a cheese grater, grate 2/3rd’s of the dough. Distribute the grated dough evenly in the pan. Gently pat the dough but don’t press. The dough should keep its grated cheese look.
- Spread the strawberry jam over the dough. *A small offset spatula will help with this step.
- Grate the remaining dough and toss in the pistachios and confectioner’s sugar. Distribute the crumble mixture on top of the jam layer. It is fine to see a few spots of jam through the crumble. Gently press the crumble mixture. Brush the top with melted butter.
- Bake at 325℉ for 50 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.