Enrique’s Meat Lover’s Pasta Sauce
We are beyond lucky to have a staff of assistants, dishwashers and receptionists who are as passionate about food as we are. Enrique has been assisting in classes for a couple of years now, coming and going between stints at some of our favorite restaurants (Superba, Curious Palate and counting…). He brings back great tips and tricks from each of his culinary adventures and comes in between classes to experiment and retool his fresh pasta and sauce recipes. This hearty meat-packed sauce and photo was one of our favorites. Double this recipe to keep some in the freezer for a quick dinner remedy with you favorite pasta.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1-1/2 lbs Ground lamb
- 2 oz Prosciutto finely diced
- 1/2 Onion finely diced
- 1 small Carrot finely diced
- 2 stalks Celery finely diced
- 3 cloves Garlic diced
- 14 oz can San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 tsp Dried oregano
- 3 oz Parmesan rind or one block
- 1 bunch Parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 4 cups Good red wine
- 2 lbs Really great* pasta you’ve gone to all this trouble
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven and cook prosciutto until browned. Add the carrots, onion and sweat until onions are translucent, followed by the garlic.
- Brown the ground lamb in the pan. Add in the tomatoes, oregano, parmesan rind and red wine. Simmer for 2 hours, covered, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Taste to adjust salt.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil with 3 Tbsps Kosher salt. *Your pasta should be large enough to sustain the weight of this thick sauce. Pick a Pappardelle or wide noodle. Once the pasta is just barely done, start warming the sauce and pick the pasta up with tongs, tossing it into the sauce until coated. Serve and garnish with parsley.