Perfect Sushi Rice
Servings: 4 cups
Sushi rice is crucial for sushi rolls, nigiri, and any other sushi dishes. Try our recipe for the perfect sushi rice!Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups short-grain Japanese rice
- ½ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- Rinse the rice several times in cold water until the water is clear. Drain in a colander and let dry for 15 minutes.
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't have a rice cooker, combine the rice with 2 cups of cold water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and cook on low heat and for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Place a clean towel between the pot and the lid to absorb condensation.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Transfer the rice to a very large bowl or a half sheet pan. Sprinkle ½ cup of the seasoned vinegar all over the rice. Drizzle onto a spatula while waving the spatula back and forth. Using a slicing motion with the spatula, gently separate the rice grains while mixing in the seasoning.
- Fan the rice while mixing it to help it dry. The rice should be slightly glossy. Taste and add more seasoning mixture if you'd like. Cover the rice with a damp towel to keep warm.