Sweet Potato Chili
We LOVE serving chili over bake sweet potatoes, so it only made sense to turn this into a one-pot dish. Unless you throw on a dollop of sour cream and cheddar, this meal is entirely vegan. Serve with a side of our sweet and spicy Skillet Cornbread.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Red onion diced
- 1 Green bell pepper diced
- 6 Garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 ears Corn shucked (or 12 ounces frozen corn)
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa powder
- 2 tsp Ground red pepper such as esplette
- 2 tsp Kosher or flaked sea salt
- 1 lb Sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 lb Dried black or red beans if using cooked or canned beans, cut cooking time down by half
- 28 oz can Diced tomatoes
- 12 oz jar Red peppers
- 8 cup Vegetable broth
- Heat the oil in the largest pot you’ve got. Toss in your onions and sweat them. Add the bell pepper, garlic cloves and corn (if not in season, it’s best to use frozen corn or leave it out all together). Toss every so often until you get a little color on the corn. Add the remaining ingredients and cover. Cook over medium low heat until the beans are cooked and sweet potatoes are tender to a fork (about 1 to 1-1/5 hours).
- While still in the pot, mash about 1/4 of the sweet potatoes. Serve with anything you like, but a nice, piping hot and fresh cornbread is our favorite.
- Slow cooker version: Toss all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook for 7-8 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning.