THE California Veggie Sandwich
Makes 4 sandwiches (and, like, lifelong friends) to take from the 210 to the 134 to the 405 to the 10.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Kosher salt
- 1 cup Shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup Sliced cucumbers
- 1 Sliced fresh chili Anaheim or Jalapeño
- 2 Ripe avocados halved
- 6 ounces Fresh goat cheese
- 8 Large romaine leaves ribs removed
- 2 cups Alfalfa sprouts
- 8 slices Whole grain bread
- 1 Persian cucumber thinly sliced
- 8 Radish thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp Olive oil divided
- some Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and 2 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Place veggies (carrots, cucumber and sliced chilies) in large bowl, pour hot brine over vegetables. Cover and chill until cool.
- Scoop avocados into a small bowl; add 1 Tbsp. oil and lightly mash. Season with salt and pepper. In another bowl mash goat cheese with remaining 2 Tbsp. oil until spreadable, season with salt and pepper.
- Spread avocado mixture over 4 slices of bread. Arrange lettuce on top of avocado and give a good drizzle of dressing. Top with cucumber, sprouts, radishes and some drained pickles. Spread remaining 4 slices of bread with goat cheese and close sandwiches.
- Wrap in parchment and refrigerate until serving.
- Whisk buttermilk, yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice and 3 Tbsp. oil in a large bowl until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.